Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tee It Forward?

The PGA of America and the USGA have a new initiative, TEE IT FORWARD (here), that encourages golfers to play from tee boxes that are appropriate for the distance they drive the ball (see the graphic above). The Initiative will be running from July 5-17 at participating golf facilities.

One course I play regularly, The Meadows, has five tee boxes ranging from 5155 to 6955 yards in overall course length (here). Given my driving length, I should either play from the White (6068) or the Blue (6448) tee boxes, but the blue tees are actually out of the suggested range. I could try playing a mixture of white and blue tee boxes, but that would screw up handicap calculations.

The USGA is not suggesting that courses add tee boxes but rather that people play from the boxes that are in their range. For me, that would be the White tees. Of course, I could always try to add 25 yards to my tee shots (see below, the click doesn't work)!

NOTE: There are some holes that the Meadows could benefit from added tee boxes, for example the 18th hole that has almost a 50 yard gap between the back and forward tee boxes. Hopefully, courses will look closely at the spacing between tee boxes and make some adjustments.

No comments:

Post a Comment