Saturday, September 24, 2011

Somax Sequence: Stage 4

I have used video analysis from the Somax Performance Institute in past analysis of Tiger Woods (here) and Arnold Palmer (here). Somax golf swing theory is detailed in their book, The Efficient Golfer. What's really interesting about their golf theory is the emphasis on the correct sequence, an idea that would be a useful addition to Stack & Tilt theory.

Once at the top of the backswing, the Somax sequence involves (1) starting the downswing with the left knee, (2) then the left hip, (3) then the left shoulder, (4) then the hands, and (5) followed lastly by the clubhead.

Stage 4 interests me because it involves moving the hands backward (see the arrow above) rather than down toward the ball, increasing wrist cock and width. Since casting is a problem most golfers (including me) have a problem with, Stage 4 should prove useful. For me, it's something to work on for the next few days.

One thing that not emphasized in Somax theory is ground loading (here) and the S&T standup (here). These ideas could be usefully added to Somax theory as a Stage 0 in the graphic above. It's also useful to compare the Somax graphic (above) with Arnold Palmer's position at the top (here and here). The Somax Institute feels that Palmer had a extremely efficient golf swing but he is far more bent over and ground-loaded (his head has moved downward slightly) than their model. Experimenting with ground loading (and unloading using the S&T standup) should not really interfere with the Somax sequence since it happens in another dimension.

1 comment:

  1. Since I can't swing my left arm back to 90 degrees as depicted in the Somax graphic, their Stage 4 move doesn't really work for me. I'm lucky to get my arm back to 45 degrees. Anyway, for the time being I'm still stuck working on Stage 1 with a little ground loading.

    ReplyDelete