Monday, November 14, 2011

Sturgeon Bay Fog Horn, Not The Sound I Remember


This is a great video shot in 2009 from the sand beach just south of the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal, Sturgeon Bay, WI. The video was shot from the beach of the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal Nature Preserve. Toward the end of the video, if you listen carefully above the wind noise, you can hear the fixed fog horn at the end of the ship canal. There is some controversy over whether or not the fog horn is still in use but at least it was still being used in 2009.

The fog horn sounds different from the one I remember hearing back in the 1950's. The current fog horn sound has been described as "a cow about to croak," probably by someone with farm experience. The sound I remember was a low, deep "Beeeeeeeee-Ohh, Beeeeeeeee-Ohh," a low musical fifth. At the end of the video above the camera pans around looking South along Lake Michigan. The log cabin my father and his brothers built, Shady Nook, was about 300 yards down the beach, very close to the ship canal.

The cabin still stands but has been substantially altered since the 1950's. The beach and the old road in front of the house have also been eroded away to their present location. My father and his brothers sold the cabin when a neighbor to the North built a large, modern home on the adjoining lot. The house was built very close to the log cabin and, in my father's words, "ruined it." The area is still beautiful and a substantial sand beach remains.

4 comments:

  1. I stumbled on the picture of the Shady Nook while helping my daughter research her canal project. I've been inside numerous times as I know the current residents. I own 3 cottages a bit south (RT Johnson Cottages) on the road. They were built by my grandfather and his brothers. I'm wondering if we're relation? His name was Rueben Johnson (brothers Archie, Curtis, and I'm blanking on the rest..sisters Grace, Edna, Louella..)
    Email me at fireflycottages@gmail.com if you want. Interesting :) Irene Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I stumbled on you/this while helping my daughter do research on the SB ship canal. I've been in the Shady Nook numerous times. I know the residents. I own 3 cottages just south (RT Johnson Cottages, now Firefly Cottages). My grandfather and his brothers built them. His name was Reuben Johnson and some of his brothers were Archie, Curtis..his father's name was Charlie Johnson..some of his sisters were Louella, Edna ( think she lived in or owned the Shady Nook) and Grace. My dad was Tom Johnson..just thinking maybe we're related? Email me at fireflycottages@gmail.com if you like. Interesting! :) Irene Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled on the picture of the Shady Nook while helping my daughter research her canal project. I've been inside numerous times as I know the current residents. I own 3 cottages a bit south (RT Johnson Cottages) on the road. They were built by my grandfather and his brothers. I'm wondering if we're relation? His name was Rueben Johnson (brothers Archie, Curtis, and I'm blanking on the rest..sisters Grace, Edna, Louella..)
    Email me at fireflycottages@gmail.com if you want. Interesting :) Irene Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we are related. I'll contact your email address with more!

    ReplyDelete