Tuesday, August 30, 2011

One- vs. Two-Plane Golf Swing



As mentioned in my last post (here), I'm having problems with pushes and over-draws. Ultimately, I think this is a problem with swing plane, that is, I'm going off plane in my follow through. This suggests that maybe I'm also not on plane in the backswing, if I can figure out what that means!

The video above gives an explanation of one- vs. two-plane swings. For the single-plane swing (better for the more athletic, "width" player, e.g. Matt Kuchar): (1) stand further away from the ball with feet wider apart, (2) bend over more, (3) swing on the same inside plane as your shoulders. For the two-plane swing (better for less athletic, "arc" players, e.g., Fred Couples): (1) stand closer to the ball with feet closer together, (2) stand up straighter, (3) swing back with the hands in front of you rather than to the inside.

As I understand the single-plane swing, at the top, your left arm will be below your right shoulder. On the follow through, your hands should be below your left shoulder. Give these two check points, your hands (at least) have stayed on plane.

The video below is a little different take on Matt Kuchar's swing from Wayne DeFrancesco. After listening to Wayne, I'm thinking that as long as the hand position on the backswing and follow through have the same relationship to the shoulders and you return the club to the shaft plane, everything should work fine. The preference for backswing and follow through hand position will depend on your level of athleticism and the type of shot you're trying to hit.

I'll experiment with these ideas next week. If these ideas are accurate, it also provides some insight about why Stack & Tilt, which is a single-plane swing, might not be best for everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment