Saturday, July 25, 2015

Definitely Miami Vice



Definitely Miami is by far my favorite Miami Vice TV episode. It's noteworthy for many reasons starting with the introduction, a long and slow camera shot set to Carlos Santana's beautiful Europa as played by Gato Barbieri  to the final scenes set to the hypnotic one-hit-wonder, Godley and Creme's Cry (considered one of the defining scenes of Miami Vice as a show). It's also notable for Casting Ted Nugent as serial killer Charlie Basset, from the time when Ted Nugent was still making music like Dog Eat Dog. Kick back, feel the heat (sorry about the commercials, kind of like seeing it on TV--buy the DVD).

Quotes:

Crockett: It's hot enough to fry an egg on my face.
Tubbs: Hope I never get that hungry.

Calle: Do you own this place.
Crockett: No, some people I work for own it and they let me use it whenever I want.
Calle: I could make you that deal.

Crockett: This is America. Cut yourself free. Find a new place. Get a job.
Calle: (Laughing) Men are my job... Not really men. One man. One man who will give me what I need. I'll do anything for him. Whatever he wants. Whatever he needs. Whatever he needs to want. Anything! Anything!
Crockett: You'd build your life around a man?
Calle: Yes!
Crockett: Does it matter which one?
Calle: But of course it matters, Sonny. It matters a lot.
Crockett: Does it matter enough to look before you leap? You don't know me. You don't know anything about me. You don't know what you're dealing with.
Calle: But of course I know you. I knew you from the very first minute I saw you. You're restless. You're hungry. You're lonely. You have dreams.

(They kiss).

Calle: Hold me tight. This may never happen again.

(Break for commercial).

From the standpoint of a single man (I was single when I first saw this episode), I can't say I've ever seen a more seductive scene on TV. Of course no woman could ever get away with this kind of dialog, but the fantasy factor is really high here and my mind is starting to get a little confused and not thinking very clearly. Maybe it's just the Miami heat. Oh yes, Calle is played by Arielle Dombasle.

No comments:

Post a Comment