Monday, November 8, 2010

Stack & Tilt: My Downswing

Here's where my problems with consistency of contact and power loss start happening (I thought it was because I'm getting old).

Notice that both Ernie Els and Tiger have maintained their wrist angle (the flying wedge) late into the downswing. In my case I have released that wrist angle (cast the club) early loosing leverage and power. My body is in my way (not rotated enough toward the target) forcing the casting motion. Maintaining the flying wedge is not something that you can think about (a negative swing thought). It's the body rotation that maintains the flying wedge (something I wasn't doing and didn't understand fully from the S&T instruction books and DVD).

The biggest thing for the tour player on the downswing is body drive, right elbow moving out in front of the body, club on the swing-plane line, lots of right leg drive, right foot off the ground, left pocket and left leg visible, and the left side of upper body visible. Body rotation gets you from the top to this point, the arms and the club are along for the ride.

In my swing, the club is underneath the swing-plane line (I'm force to adjust two extreme angles to square the club up), right elbow jammed up against the body, body position is static and in the way of my arms, not turned toward the target, no right knee drive, and not clearing the left side out at all.

Here's the reason I'm hitting fat shots. It's not body sway but rather releasing the wrist angle early. This issue is discussed a lot in S&T instruction, I just didn't get it and didn't know how to maintain the flying wedge with the S&T swing.

No comments:

Post a Comment