Monday, November 8, 2010

Stack & Tilt: My Finish

After not having very good numbers in the hitting area, surprisingly my swing ends up in a pretty good place (good enough to look OK at the finish but not produce very good shot results). My shoulders are rotated 108 open to the target (Tour average is 138) and my hip turn is 98 degrees open to the target (Tour average is 106). There is more potential here that would result from more body rotation during the swing. Thirty degrees more rotation at impact would put me right where I need to be on the follow through.

The changes needed in the start of my swing are (1) better posture at address, (2) more weight shift on the backswing, and (3) better arm position at the top--as can been seen from the after video (here). I've been playing with the new (old) swing for the last two months. The results have actually been very good. In future posts, I'll show a video of the new swing and we can see if the follow through looks any better.

In retrospect, I don't regret the Stack & Tilt Journey. It helped me understand my golf swing better and also understand my bad shots and their causes. From the sequence of still images and analysis (here) it should be clear that I never got to the S&T model swing. If you plan on trying the swing, video taping is essential. It would also be useful to have an S&T instructor although they seem hard to find. The availability of good instruction and high-quality video analysis at GolfTec (here) or at Golf Galaxy (here) is one good reason to stick with the traditional golf swing.

2 comments:

  1. George, I admire your data based approach to the ideal swing and I like your comment that advancing age and inflexibility may not be the cause of all swing problems, I think that's too easy and I'm dedicating myself to fundamentals and good swing technique, combined with flexibility and core strength work. Gordon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loosing 30 lbs. also improved my flexibility!

    ReplyDelete