Monday, November 8, 2010

Stack & Tilt: My Swing At Impact

Here is my swing at impact. Particularly notice the right two images (me against Tiger) and the associated numbers. All these numbers (shoulder turn, shoulder tilt and hip turn) should be in the 40-degree range at this point. My shoulder turn is at 18 degrees open (Tour average is 48 degrees open to the target), my shoulder tilt is 26 degrees right (Tour average is 43 degrees) and my hip turn is 30 degrees open (Tour average is 42 degrees open). I'm basically in the same position I was at address. At impact, I'm not bent over enough so that my body can clear out of the way and turn more toward the target and my shoulder tilt is not enough to maintain my wrist angle (the flying wedge) to prevent casting. Notice how Tiger is bent over more at impact with his hands further away from his body, his body turned much further toward the target with his right shoulder working down and under the chin.

Notice in the image above that I'm adding loft to the club (there should be a straight line from my left shoulder to the club head at impact as in the Ernie Els image). In other words, I'm hitting the 7-iron in this image as if it was an eight or nine iron, thus the predicable loss of distance and inability to control ball flight. Notice that my shoulder turn (18 degrees) is in the red numbers, that is, not enough shoulder turn toward the target.

No comments:

Post a Comment