Monday, December 17, 2012

Fourplay Between The Sheets



My first encounter with the Smooth Jazz group, Fourplay, was in a boutique store across the street from Rowe Pottery Works in Cambridge, WI. The store was playing the song you can hear in the video above from their debut album. It caught my ear and I asked the very attractive young lady behind the counter what was playing. She picked up the CD jewel case, turned bright red and told me it was foreplay between the sheets.

"Fourplay," of course, is a "play" on the "4/4" time signature and "sheets" of music. At this point in the conversation, my mind had become clouded with other musical images and I wasn't able to explain the play on words to the young lady. Hopefully, she has become a Smooth Jazz fan. Lee Ritenour, the original guitarist in Fourplay, has become one of my favorites (their current guitarist is Chuck Loeb, no slouch by any means).

No comments:

Post a Comment