Sunday, December 2, 2012

I Shall Win! I Shall Win!



Andrea Bocelli sang Nessun Dorma from Turandot of Giacomo Puccini tonight during pledge night on my local Public TV station. From the crowd response to Bocelli Live in Central Park, this is everyone's favorite aria (the version above is from A Night in Tuscany). Here are the words and translation:

[Tenor]

Nessun dorma! (no one sleep)
Nessun dorma!

Tu pure, o' Principessa (even You, o' Princess)
nella tua fredda stanza (in your cold room),

guardi le stelle (watch the stairs),
che tremano d'Amore (that twinkle for Love)

e di Speranza (and for Hope)

[B]

Ma il mio mistero (But my secret)
e chiuso in Me (is closed within Me),

Il nome mio (My name)
nessun sapra (no one shall know)

No! No!

Sulla tua bocca (On your mouth)
lo diro (I will reveal it)

Quando la luce ... (When the light...)
splendera (shines)!

[C]

Ed il mio bacio (And my kiss)
sciogliera il silenzio (will dissolve the silence)

che Ti fa mia (that makes You mine).

[Chorus]

Il nome suo (His name),
nessun sapra (no one shall know i)

E Noi dovrem, ahime (And We shall have, alas),
morir...morir (to die...to die)!

[Tenor]

Dilegua o' notte (Vanish o' night)!
Tramontate stelle (Set Stars)!

Tramontate stelle (Set Stars)!
all'alba (At dawn)
Vincero (I shall win)!

Vincero (I shall win)!
Vincero (I shall win)!

Here's the version from which the lyrics were taken (can't get enough!):

No comments:

Post a Comment