Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Rule 14-1b

The USGA has recently promulgated the controversial Rule 14-1b regulating the use of long-putters.  There have been persistent rumors that something was in the works and the results are finally here (here). The graphic below describes the rule (a full size version of the info-graphic is available here). The USGA is seeking comment at Feedback@usga.org.  Here is the text of my comment to the USGA on the rule and a video of me using the long putter (if I want to continue using it, the stroke will have to change since I'm anchoring my left hand to my sternum):

I putt horribly using either anchored or unanchored. You'll have to make the hole 4' in diameter before anything will help my putting.

All seriousness aside, I understand the rule and it's very clear to me how to comply with the rule. I do worry a bit about using the long putter in competition and having a competitor assert that I touched my body with my left hand or touched my body with my left forearm. The rule seems clear that anchoring has to be intentional and that the hand, forearm or club has to be anchored through the swing. I can imagine some competitors using the long putter itself as an excuse for harassing tactics. And, whether you are or are not touching/anchoring my be obscured by baggy clothing, rain gear, winter gear or a big stomach.

Maybe it's like a provisional ball. On the first green, I have to declare that I am using a long putter and have no intention of anchoring it to my body regardless of what a competitor might think or think he sees. Or, maybe it's all too much of a hassle and you've effectively banned the long putters.

No comments:

Post a Comment